Protein recovery and recycling from animal by products processes (LIFE16 ENV/ES000467)
LIFE BYPROTVAL is a multi-sectoral project promoting circular economy through the use of animal by-products not intended for human consumption as raw material for the production of two higher added value products: retanning agents and amino acid-based fertilisers or bio-stimulants
According to the European Fats Processors and Renderers Association (EFPRA), 328 million livestock and 6 billion poultry are slaughtered in the EU each year, thus generating a large volume of Category 3 (low risk) animal by-products and derived products not intended for human consumption (ABPs). Besides, a large quantity of fallen stock is annually collected from farms, which if not carrying infectious diseases, can account for almost 2.5 million tonnes of Category 2 ABPs. In total, 17 million tonnes of ABPs are yearly processed, producing more than 3.5 million tonnes of animal protein and generating wastewater with high protein content. Furthermore, rendering plants constitute another source of wastewater with high protein content.
The ABP Regulation allows different applications for these by-products, depending on their risk category. However, in practice, Category 2 products are almost exclusively used for energy production (which is the last resort recommended by the EU’s Circular Economy strategy) or are disposed of in authorised landfills, while Category 3 products are mainly intended for animal feed purposes.
Recovery of valuable proteins and their hydrolysates from high-protein-content processing water and from greaves that are generated in processed meat industries and in rendering facilities - Category 2 ABPs - for their application as fertilisers and as retanning agents.
- Availability of a procedure for recovering valuable protein derivatives from greaves and processing water produced in both rendering facilities and meat processing industries.
- Design, construction and set-up of demonstration plants for the treatment of greaves and processing water.
- Production and validation of fertilisers and tanning agents, based on recovered protein hydrolysates.
- Possibility of recovering 100 tons of protein derivatives per year.
- Improved wastewater quality at beneficiaries’ facilities.
To find out more about LIFE BYPROTVAL, click here